Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Ideal Next Banjo Game
Listen I know Yooka Laylee is set for release in March of next Year (5 months), I know Rare has been lackluster in content in the past eight years, and I know that we've probably had this thread in every version of SM. Regardless opinions change and people can dream that is how people work. So how would you want a next Banjo game no strings attached (don't abuse this), plot can be what ever, the number can be what ever, the canon of Nuts and Bolts can be what ever.

I would like to see a BK4 that is yes a platformer but builds off of Tooie and as such goes full on Metroidvania. Note doors and Jiggy pads would be in levels as well as the minimalistic hub world and moves would be free once found. For example I'm imagining the first world as a Treasure Trove Cove esque beach level as the first level and there would be a cave behind a 50 note door. So you explore this area that has maybe 75 notes and 3 or 4 jiggies available off the bat. Then you enter the cave and you have the second part of the level with the rest of the notes and another 3 or 4 jiggies avalible (the rest obtained later through backtracking) but you also have a route to the boss. Once you beat the boss you get your jiggy as always but you also get to go to a room with the jiggy pad and picture for the next level which would not only have an opening in the hub world but also in the level your currently at so you have the choice to explore either the half entered through the hub or the half entered through the closer entrance in the level your currently in.

But that's just me, what are your thoughts?
[Image: k8CtLlH.gif]
i want another vehicle game ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[Image: fIfj6XU.png]
and everything i wanna be, is just another silly dream,
you see, but i'll keep dreaming just the same
Hell, I'd take a vehicle game if I at least felt like I was making progress. I had fewer grievances with Nuts & Bolts than most, but when playing through loads of missions I never felt like I was really accomplishing anything. Even in unlocking new areas and worlds it never seemed to me like the difficulty curve ever bent upward. BK and BT give you progressively larger and more difficult worlds and more moves as you advance into Grunty's Lair or the Isle O' Hags. By the end, I'd felt like I'd succeeded at something. I'd worked for it.

I want a Yooka-Laylee that can transcend the collect-a-thon like BK and BT did and make me feel like exploring and learning actually build and compound into bigger and tougher worlds. Make me work for my shiny, golden trinkets. Not through hand-holding or punishing difficulty but through experimentation and practice. I think the playful humor and colorful visuals are just the coating over that brand of platformer that hasn't been seen much since 2000.

No idea if any of that was clear or not.
My ideal Banjo-Kazooie game is literally Yooka-Laylee but with a bear and bird instead of a lizard and bat. I really didn't like the "let's just make everything bigger" approach they took with Tooie (and N&B to an extent). I just want tight platforming in reasonably-sized environments that I don't have to constantly teleport around and/or backtrack to.
[Image: mwFaGFB.png]
I'd like to see something with Banjo-Kazooie platforming but with actual puzzle-solving gameplay like in Zelda or Resident Evil. Get rid of split up pads and make that a move you can use at any time. And no backtracking for items needed to complete the game.

And maybe something like more stats in View Total like how many baddies you killed, which baddy was your favorite to kill, and the total amount of eggs and feathers you used throughout the game.
[Image: Ojqn8Xj.jpg?1]
So after beating BT again I noticed you can normally get 7-9 jiggys on your first runthrough a level. If we went full on Metroidvania I'd go between 5 and 7.

(11-11-2016, 06:06 AM)Glowbo Wrote:  i want another vehicle game ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(11-12-2016, 10:58 AM)PiyozR Wrote:  Hell, I'd take a vehicle game if I at least felt like I was making progress. I had fewer grievances with Nuts & Bolts than most, but when playing through loads of missions I never felt like I was really accomplishing anything.

If we had another vehicle game we could either A. make it a BK style where you have a world with everything self-contained. Jiggys would be found by completing certain tasks as opposed to missions and you unlock new parts by finding them and taking them to Mumbo who would be in every world. Or B. keep the act system with everything I just said and reuse the same levels with a new time of day and a few deign changes.

(11-12-2016, 10:58 AM)PiyozR Wrote:  I want a Yooka-Laylee that can transcend the collect-a-thon like BK and BT did and make me feel like exploring and learning actually build and compound into bigger and tougher worlds. Make me work for my shiny, golden trinkets. Not through hand-holding or punishing difficulty but through experimentation and practice. I think the playful humor and colorful visuals are just the coating over that brand of platformer that hasn't been seen much since 2000.

No idea if any of that was clear or not.

You want a game with a good difficulty progression that makes it seem like it pays off in the end.

(11-13-2016, 03:38 AM)Camjo-Z Wrote:  My ideal Banjo-Kazooie game is literally Yooka-Laylee but with a bear and bird instead of a lizard and bat. I really didn't like the "let's just make everything bigger" approach they took with Tooie (and N&B to an extent). I just want tight platforming in reasonably-sized environments that I don't have to constantly teleport around and/or backtrack to.

I couldn't care less about size so long as it has the content appropriate to it. Yes I agree if you spend alot of time walking around just to get to a point of interest that is a problem.

(11-19-2016, 02:37 PM)JO Wrote:  I'd like to see something with Banjo-Kazooie platforming but with actual puzzle-solving gameplay like in Zelda or Resident Evil. Get rid of split up pads and make that a move you can use at any time. And no backtracking for items needed to complete the game.

And maybe something like more stats in View Total like how many baddies you killed, which baddy was your favorite to kill, and the total amount of eggs and feathers you used throughout the game.

That would be something different, got to give credit to the engineer's eye when it shows. As for getting rid of pads (any of them) I never had a problem with them as a way too keep you from breaking the game though I do believe red feathers are pointless. As for the stats I know Terraria gives you a banner when you kill 100/250/500 and so on of the same enemy.
[Image: k8CtLlH.gif]